Are Cyclamen Houseplants Poisonous?
My wife loves the Cyclamen Plant our neighbor has so I thought I would buy her one for Valentines Day. We have a one year old little boy, so I wanted to be sure they weren’t poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222. More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants. Thanks for your advice. Tony
Sorry to tell you, but Cyclamen are poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them. and should be kept away from small children and pets. So, unless you have a bright spot for your Cyclamen, where your little boy won’t be able to reach it, I would recommend a different flowering plant; perhaps something like a Lipstick Plant.