Always thought this was a Money Tree-but I’m still broke

I purchased this many years ago and I think I it had a tag saying it was a money tree and although similar (and my trunk is not braided) it doesn’t appear that it is a Pachira. Besides-if it was a true money tree, I should be rich-this thing is thriving! Likes to be root bound, lives in a bright window in a temperate room. Cold window doesn’t seem to effect it. Leaves are waxy.

 

Hi Nunya,

Learn how to grow, care for, and identify a ZZ plant at Houseplant411.com

Your picture is a little dark, but I’m pretty sure it’s a ZZ Plant, Zamioculcas zamiifolia, like the picture above.

ZZ houseplants have long stems covered in hundreds of round, plump, shiny green leaves (or leaflets as they are called). They do well in low light or bright indirect light. Since a Zamioculcas zamiifolia is a slow growing plant even in good light, in low light a ZZ Plant rarely produces new leaves. Direct sun burns the leaves. Over-watering is the only way to kill a  ZZ houseplant. They don’t like wet feet so allow the soil to thoroughly dry out before watering. ZZ Plants have thick roots called rhizomes that store water so when in doubt, do not water. Unlike most plants, Zamioculcas are very forgiving, allowing you to over-water a few times before showing signs of serious damage. Yellow leaves are an indication that the plant has been over-watered.

You can read all of my care tips for a ZZ Plant in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/zamioculcas-zamiifolia-zz-plant-how-to-grow-care

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. You can read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..