Alocasia and Ivy Plants Dying

I have a few houseplants that are doing so well and then I have these two which are suffering. I have given them ample time to adjust to certain areas before trying new areas, but I’m not sure what to do to help them get healthy.

Thanks,

Caitlin

 

 

Hi Caitlin,

This is a type of Alocasia. These plants do require extra care and attention. Alocasia plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children.

An Alocasia plant requires very bright, indirect light but no direct sun.

Allow the top 2″- 3″ of soil to dry out before watering, and try to keep the soil evenly moist.

Fertilize every two weeks from late March through September with a basic houseplant food diluted to 1/2 the recommended strength. Never fertilize during the winter.

You can find all my care tips for an alocasia plant in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/alocasia-plant-how-to-grow-care-guide-elephant-ear-plant-african-mask-plant

 

This is an English Ivy. The important thing to remember is that crispy leaves mean the plant is over watered not that it needs water. You will need to prune the plant back if you want it to be bushy again.

English Ivy plants like bright indirect lightVery few houseplants should be placed in direct sun. High light refers only to bright indirect light since direct sun often burns the leaves of indoor houseplants. An area that is too hot and dry encourages Spider Mites and causes blooms to quickly fade. A northern exposure really doesn't provide enough light for high light plants. These plants need to be placed directly in front of an east-facing window, within 1-3 feet of a west-facing window, and within 5 ft. of a south facing window. A high light area has over 300 ft. candles of light. but direct sun burns their leaves.

Most English Ivy plants die because they are over-watered. Allow the top 25-30% of the soil to dry out before watering.

Feed every two weeks in the spring and summer with a basic houseplant food diluted to 1/2 the recommended strength. Fertilize monthly in the fall and winter. Never feed an English Ivy if the temperature is extremely hot or cold, if the soil is very dry, or if the Ivy plant is not producing new leaves.

You can find all my care tips for an English Ivy in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/english-ivy-plant-how-to-grow-care-guide-hedera-helix-ivy

These plants are also considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children.