Split-Leaf Philodendron Plant

Monstera deliciosa
Windowleaf Plant Swiss Cheese Plant

The Split Leaf Philodendron or Monstera deliciosa as it should be called, is a large popular easy- care houseplant that is not really a Philodendron at all. There is a great deal of confusion about what to call this plant because the various names have become inter-changeable. Other names for this plant include: Windowleaf, Ceriman, Mexican Breadfruit, and Swiss Cheese Plant. Whatever we call it, Split Leaf Philodendron or Monstera deliciosa, it is native to the jungles of Mexico, Panama, and India, has big glossy heart- shaped leaves that, as the plant matures, split from the leaf edge to the center vein. These slits are called cuts. The Split Leaf Philodendron grows rapidly and often has leaves that are up to 3ft. long and 2ft. wide. If you want a big tropical low maintenance plant, the Monstera deliciosa is perfect. The leaves, stems, and roots of the plant contain oxalic acid. A Split Leaf  Philodendron is a poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. plant and should be kept away from children and pets. The only part of  a Monstera Deliciosa that is not poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. is the delicious fruit it produces in nature.