Plant Identification: Philodendron Gloriosum & Philodendron Selloum

Hi! I inherited these two beautiful large houseplants and have brought them into my NY apartment. But what are they! And what do they need from me?

Hi.

Your first plant is a Philodendron Gloriosum

It likes bright indirect lightVery few houseplants should be placed in direct sun. High light refers only to bright indirect light since direct sun often burns the leaves of indoor houseplants. An area that is too hot and dry encourages Spider Mites and causes blooms to quickly fade. A northern exposure really doesn't provide enough light for high light plants. These plants need to be placed directly in front of an east-facing window, within 1-3 feet of a west-facing window, and within 5 ft. of a south facing window. A high light area has over 300 ft. candles of light., no direct sun. In lower light, the leaves turn a darker green. Too much light or direct sun burns the leaves or causes the deep green color to fade.

Keep the soil barely moist but not soggy. Check the soil at the bottom of the pot a few times to be sure you are not overwatering. Overwatering causes root rot and this quickly kills the plant. During the winter, water less often, allowing the soil to dry out slightly.

Feed monthly from late March to October with a balanced, liquid plant food diluted to 1/2 the recommended strength. During the fall and winter, fertilize every other month. Too much plant food causes excess salt build up in the soil and can cause leaf burn. The leaves on a philodendron usually turn pale green when the plant needs more

The best temperature for this philodendron is about 50°F  to 85°F (10°C – 29.4°C). Temperatures at night should be about 10° less.

poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants: All philodendron plants contain calcium oxalate crystals. Eating any part of the plant may cause the following symptoms: pain in the mouth, drooling (dogs & cats), and vomiting. If swelling of the lips, tongue, and airway occurs, it becomes difficult to breathe or swallow. This plant and your other plant are very poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants plants; please keep them away from small children and pets.

The second plant is a Philodendron Selloum. This is a self-heading” philodendron. The care tips are exactly the same as those for the philodendron “gloriousum.