Plant Identification Help

Hi, I’ve had this plant for a little over a year, it’s been doing fine, though it’s a little stressed after a recent move. I bought it at my local grocery store and it had no tag so I’ve never known what it is. It grows long white spiky flowers. Any idea what it is?

Hi Katie,

Thick green leaves with purple under sides of peperomia capperato "rosso"

Peperomia caperata Rosso

Your plant is called a Peperomia caperata ‘Rosso.’ There are over 1000 varieties of Peperomia plants. All Peperomia plants, which belong to the pepper family, are semi- succulents with very similar care requirements. Over watering is the main reason peperomia plants die. Place a peperomia in very bright indirect light and watch it thrive on neglect! You can read all my care tips for a peperomia in the Popular Houseplant section of the website. The picture is of a different variety, but the care is the same.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/peperomia-caperata-how-to-grow-care-tips

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants



Join us on Facebook and follow our boards on Pinterest.