House Plant Identified as Philodendron “Narrow”

I bought this plant at a botanic garden winter house plant sale. Have never seen it anywhere else. Love it. Bring it inside for the winter (live in Zone 7B) and in summer I use it outside in shade both in pots and in ground. I split each grouping at end of summer; just yesterday I potted up 14 pots–will give some away. It’s a wonderful shade filler and great thriller in pots. Pictures attached.

Hi Jean,

Narrow rippled green Philodendron arrow

Philodendron Narrow

Your plant is called a Philodendron “Narrow.” You obviously don’t need any care tips since you seem to be doing such a wonderful job with the plant. The main thing to remember when you give these plants away is that all Philodendron are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. plants and should be kept away from small children and pets.