Identify My Plant?

What kind of plant is this and how do I care for it

Hi Wendy,

Your plant looks like a Sago Palm.

A Sago Palm needs bright light with a little direct sun in the morning. Give a Sago Palm ¼ of a turn each week to keep it from growing toward the light. In bright light a Sago Palm produces short thick fronds, in lower light the fronds are long and thin.

Allow the top 75% of the soil to dry out before thoroughly watering a Sago Palm. Water sparingly in the winter when there is less light and cooler temperatures. Be careful never to get water in the crown of a Sago Palm plant, this can cause crown rot disease and the eventual death of the plant. Sago Palms should never be allowed to totally dry out.

You can read all my care tips in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/how-to-grow-a-sago-palm-care-guide-cycas-revoluta

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants