IDENTIFY MY GIFT PLANTS

I received a plant gift basket and I can’t identify these plants. Please help!
Thank you,
Synamon

Hi Synamon,

Green and white large leaves on dieffenbachia plant

Dieffenbachia Camille

This is a type of dieffenbachia. Dieffenbachias are fast-growing houseplants that tend to get top heavy if not properly pruned.  All parts of a Dieffenbachia are extremely poisonous which is how they earned the nickname “dumb cane plant”and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonous in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants. You can read all my care tips in the Popular Houseplant section of the website. The picture is of a different variety, but the care is the same.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/dieffenbachia-dumb-cane-plant-how-to-grow-care-for-a-dieffenbachia

Brightly colored leathery leaves on a croton plant

Croton “Mammy”

This plant is a type of  Croton, probably the “Mammy” variety. You can read all my care tips in the Popular Houseplant section of the website. The picture is of a different variety, but the care is the same.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/croton-plant-how-to-grow-care-guide

Croton plants are a little temperamental and not as forgiving as some other houseplants, but are a bright addition to any home or office. These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. also and should be kept away from pets and children.