After paying all that money for an an Amaryllis Plant or Amaryllis bulbs this year it would be great to have them bloom again next year. Follow these simple instructions and that is just what will happen.
1. Cut the old flowers from the stem when they fade.
2. When the stem starts to sag, cut it back to the top of the bulb.
3. Continue to water and fertilize all summer or at least 5-6 months.
4. Allow the leaves to fully develop and grow. The leavesl nourish the bulb so it will produce large flowers next year.
5. When the leaves begin to yellow, usually in the early fall, cut the leaves to about 2” from the top of the bulb
6. At this time, remove the bulb from the soil.
7. Clean the bulb and place it in a cool dark place (40-50 degrees) for a minimum of six weeks. The refrigerator will work only if it does not contain apples. Apples will sterilize the bulbs.
8. After six weeks you can remove the bulbs and plant them again. Plant the bulbs about eight weeks before you want them to bloom.