Dieffenbachia Compacta Plant

Dieffenbachia
Dumb Cane Plants

Dieffenbachia Compacta HousePlants or Dumb Cane Plants are relatively easy-care houseplants with large, broad, oblong, green and cream colored leaves. Dieffenbachia HousePlants can be small table plants or 5-6ft. trees depending on the variety you select. Dieffenbachia HousePlants are fast growers that tend to get top heavy if not properly pruned.  Dieffenbachia HousePlants are very poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets.. All parts of a Dieffenbachia contain calcium oxalate, a chemical that irritates the skin. If ingested, the sap of Dieffenbachia HousePlants may cause throat swelling and could paralyze the vocal cords. Dieffenbachias earned the nick-name “dumb cane” because the sap of the plant is so toxic it can cause a temporary inability to speak.  Be sure to keep these poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. houseplants out of the reach of small pets and children.