Poisonous Houseplants

They can be eye-catching, breathtaking, or even useful—a simple and beautiful way to bring a bit of nature indoors. Houseplants are a staple of interior decorating and for good reason. But did you know many of these common indoor plants may pose hidden dangers to children or pets, from vomiting and diarrhea, to convulsions or even death?

In Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat! plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levelThese are general guidelines that describe how poisonous certain houseplants are. It's possible for an allergic reaction to occur from contact with any houseplant, toxic or non-toxic. If there is ever a concern, call: Poison Control Center: ******1-800-222-1222****** Level #1: Houseplants with low toxicity, may be mildly irritating, especially the sap of the plant. Level#2: Houseplants with medium to severe toxicity. Eating parts of these houseplants may result in vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pains, skin irritations, and breathing difficulties. Level #3: These houseplants are  very poisonous. When eaten, especially in large quantities,  severe vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pains, skin irritations, and breathing difficulties can occur. Level #4: These houseplants are extremely poisonous. Eating parts of these houseplants can be be life threatening. Every plant listed in our Popular HousePlant guide has a section explaining whether or not it is poisonous and, if so, how poisonous. Amaryllis, alocasia, dieffenbachias, crotons, ivies, azaleas, lilies, and philodendrons are just a few of the highly poisonous plants we use in our homes and offices all of the time. If you don't know whether your houseplant is poisonous, go to Ask Judy on the HousePlant411.com website, send her a picture of your plant, and she'll let you know if the houseplant should be kept away from small children and pets. See colorful pictures and get more information about poisonous houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants  s of toxicity, and the possible consequences of their ingestion.

In this comprehensive and clearly illustrated guide, you’ll find out why kissing under the mistletoe is fine, but snacking on it isn’t—and how plant placement can be just as important as baby gates and hiding household chemicals when babyproofing your house.

So before tempting your cat with a tantalizing California ivy or placing a heart leaf philodendron within baby’s reach, be sure to consult this helpful book for advice. With detailed descriptions, valuable care tips, and a thorough plant glossary, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat! is a must-read for parents, pet lovers, and plant hobbyists everywhere.