Identify this plant? Indoor Bird of Paradise

This plant has been in the family for over 50 years. I don’t know what it is. Recently some of the leaves have started to open, but do not open completely. Help!

Thank you…..

Hi Helen,

Your plant is an indoor Bird of Paradise. (Strelitzia)

A Bird of Paradise Plant requires very bright light. This plant can even be placed in the direct sun if you do it gradually and allow the leaves to slowly adapt. You may have to move a Bird of Paradise plant to different areas of your home as the seasons change in order to give it adequate light. Placing a Bird of Paradise close to a south- facing window is always best.

In the spring and summer the soil of a Bird of Paradise plant should be moist but never soggy. This plant needs less water in the fall and winter. Water a Bird of Paradise from the bottom so the soil does not become too compact and remains well aerated. Water that has a high salt content burns the leaves.

You can read all my care tips for an indoor Bird of Paradise in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/bird-of-paradise-how-to-grow-care

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants