Please Identify Mystery Tree at the Office

Hello, I just started 6 months ago and have been figuring out all the plants in the office, all except this one. We think it needs to be split since the two trunks/stems are going off in opposite directions, and there are two smaller offshoots that don’t seem to be a problem yet. It has a sort of woody stem with large green leaves that come off in a palmate fashion (between 5 and 8 leaves each). According to my coworker it bloomed around 3-4 years ago with larger, white colored, nasty smelling flowers. If you could simply let me know what it is and any recommendations you have for it I would be grateful! Thank You!

Hi Jandre,

Large green leaves on Schefflera Plant

Schefflera Plant

Your plant is called a Schefflera. Scheffleras are often called Umbrella Trees because of their large, shiny, dark green leaves that drape down like the spokes of an umbrella. Each Schefflera leaf grows at the end of a long stem and consists of several smaller leaflets. Schefflera Plants usually have multiple trunks. If a Schefflera Plant becomes leggy looking and shapeless, don’t be afraid to aggressively prune the plant. When cutting back the thick stems or trunks, make the cut a little above a plant node. New growth develops from the node.You can read all my care tips for a schefflera in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/schefflera-plant-how-to-grow-care
These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants.