Please identify my houseplants plants

I have had these plants for several years and managed to keep them alive. But the small one had beautiful purple flowers on it and has not bloomed again. I need to know how to prune the large one to keep it from being so leggy. It is top heavy and leans over. I rotate it but that only seems to help it grow!! Thanks

Hi,

image-278image-277

The first plant is Hawaiian Schefflera and it does get purple flowers when grown outside but never blooms indoors.  (see picture below) Aggressively prune a Hawaiian Schefflera when it gets too large or looks thin and leggy. All Schefflera Plants love to be pruned. New growth on your plant will appear directly below where you cut the stem so keep in mind how you want the shape of your plant to look before pruning it.

stock-photo-purple-flower-spikes-of-a-decorative-queensland-umbrella-tree-schefflera-actinophylla-octopus-419996995

The second plant is a dieffenbachia. Aggressively prune your Dieffenbachia by cutting off the top 1/3-1/2 of the stem to keep the plants bushy and prevent them from getting top heavy. These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants