Name please!

Hi Judy! Found this plant in an isolated temple up in the hills of a Malaysian jungle. Grows quite well in a pot on my balcony. Have seen different color patch leaves but I like my RED patch Will be grateful if you can give it a name! Many thanks.

Hi Victor,

image-203

Your plant is a type of Caladium.

Caladium houseplants, or Elephant Ear Plants as they are sometimes called, are grown for their large, paper-thin, heart-shaped colorful leaves that are often more spectacular than many flowers. The leaves of Caladium Plants, some as long as 24 inches have marbled, spotted, or veined patterns on red, pink, white, and green. A Caladium is a tuberous rooted perennial that originally came from South America. Caladium houseplants die back and become dormant in the fall and stay that way until early spring. The beautiful ornamental foliage makes the extra care required to grow and then re-grow a Caladium each year well worth it. Read all of my care tips for Caladiums in the Popular HousePlant section of the website.

http://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/caladium-how-to-grow-care

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants