My Cat Ate This Mystery HousePlant

I got this plant as a gift and nobody knows what it is. It’s in poor condition right now because my cat decided it was a snack. I think it made him a little sick, which made me really concerned and curious about this plant. Thank you for taking a look and I hope the pictures are helpful!

Hi Logann,

Green, thick Swedish Ivy Plant

Swedish Ivy Plant

Your plant is called a Swedish Ivy, it may be referred to as Swedish Begonia or Creeping Charlie also. Fortunately, Swedish Ivy is not considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. plant so there shouldn’t be any long term effects on your cat. Here are some care tips that might help. You can read more about the plant in the Popular HousePlant section of the website.

Light: Swedish Ivy Plants require bright indirect light, but no direct sun. Inadequate light causes a Swedish Ivy to “reach’ for the light and become leggy.