Hi Judy, I hope you can help me because I really care for this plant, my fiancé inherited it from his grandfather and I want to make sure it lives for a long time. I tried to identify this plant on various websites with no success, so I was taking care of it following my intuition. When I came into my fiancé’s life, this plant was growing spirally against the wall, it was quite sad. I stretched it out and attached 2 bamboo sticks to it, which helped it grow very tall very fast, in one year it grew like 2 ft and it even grew out flowers which my fiancé didn’t even know it had.
Now the plant is too tall, and many of the bottom leaves are partially brown. There is a new stem growing from the bottom (see 3rd pic), so I was wondering if it’s a good idea to dig out the plant, separate the 2 stems and plant the small one in a fresh pot. I don’t know if separating the stems will harm the plant? Can you also tell me what plant this is? Thank you !
Your plant is a Philodendron. Philodendrons belong to the Arums or Aroid (Araceae) family. They do produce “flowers” which are really spathe-and-spadix blooms. There are hundreds of different type of Philodendrons: the care for most is quite similar and they are all usually poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets.. I’d recommend cutting off the top 8″-10″ of the plant. This will encourage the new growth at the bottom and along the stems. You can certainly separate the new growth at the bottom to start a new plant. Start the new plant in a small pot so you don’t over water.