Houseplant Identification and Care Help

Hi Judy. First of all not sure what kind of plant this is so not sure how to take care of it properly. Stems are long with leaves growing out the top and one recently toppled and is dying. Can I propagate the top part? Really not sure how to bring it back to life, it’s looking rather sad. Thanks in advance!

Hi Anika,

Light green and dark green dieffenbachia

Dieffenbachia Plant

Your plant is called a Dieffenbachia and it is a very poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. houseplant. Here are some care tips: