dumb cane inquiry

My Dumb Cane plant (dieffenbachia) has been growing in a plastic bucket of water for several months. Its ‘stem’ is so thick its like a green tree trunk. This ‘trunk’ is in a ‘u’ shape and has now started ‘branching out.’ Should I plant it in dirt and if so what kind?

Hi Cassandra,

Green and white Dieffenbachia Plant.

Dieffenbachia Tropic Snow

You should definitely plant your dieffenbachia in some soil; any good potting soil will work; avoid the cheap no name brands since they may have questionable things in the soil.  The pot you use should have drip hole in the bottom for excess water to drain out and the pot should only be a few inches larger than the root ball of the plant. Using a pot that is too large or does not have drip holes allows the soil to stay wet too long , causes root rot, and the plant dies.

Dieffenbachia plants are very poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants