My husband and I received this plant as a wedding gift 9 years ago. We have no idea what it is or how to care for it. It periodically drops leaves and the leaves turn yellow, which makes me think we are overwatering it. But with 3 small kids and 2 dogs, I’m not sure how that could be, since we can barely remember! Please help us figure out what’s wrong! My husband and I jokingly refer to this plant as a metaphor for our marriage, so we must keep it alive! Haha!
Your plant is called a croton goldust. Crotons need to be warm and kept away for heating and cooling vents. Temperatures below 60 degrees can cause a croton to get yellow leaves that fall off. Crotons are very poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. so please get your kids and pets away from it. There are complete care instructions for a croton in the popular houseplant section of the website.