Croton is a Poisonous HousePlant

I acquired this lovely plant from a friend who abandoned it,
I know nothing about it, or even it’s name.
Your help would be greatly appreciated and as much information on how to care for it as well.
Thank you so much for your Time, and Co-operation Judy.

Hi Christine,

Your plant is called a Croton Norma. There are complete care instructions in the popular HousePlant section of the website. The important thing to remember is that this plant is very poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. so please keep it away from children and pets.