Chinese Evergreen Plant CLeans the Air but is Poisonous

Years ago my friend gave me this plant as a small potted plant but no name. Through the years it has grown about 3 to 4 inches a year and now has small growths like a peace lily flower unopened. The heighth is now about 5 feet and I have to put a dowel rod in to attach the branches as they would be on the floor because of their weight. I hope the picture comes through okay.

Hi Marlene,

Your plant is a type of Chinese Evergreen Plant. It’s a great low lightWhen you select “Low Light” a list of the most adaptive plants in our database appears. These plants can live in lighting conditions too low to support any other plants in our database, but will grow faster in medium and high light. Variegation (color) in the leaves is often lost in low light. A plant in low light needs less water and fertilizer than the same plant in better light. Place a low-light plant within 2-3 ft. of a window with a northern exposure, 3-5 ft. of a window with an eastern exposure, 4-10 ft. of a window with a western exposure, and 10-18ft. of a window with a southern exposure. A low light area has between 50-150 ft. candles of light. The best low light house plants are: Chinese Evergreen, Dracaena Janet Craig, Peace Lily, Heart leaf Philodendron. plant that cleans the air of harmful toxins. However, Chinese Evergreen Plants are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. so please keep it away from children and small pets. If you want a sturdier, bushy plant that doesn’t fall over, cut back some of the stems that are falling down. The plant will branch out below the cut in the stem. You can repot the pieces you cut off and start new plants. Dip the cut ends in a little Rooting HormoneRooting Hormone helps plant cuttings produce new roots and is very important to use if you want your propagation attempts to be successful. Always dip the cut end of a stem or leaf into water and then dip it into the rooting hormone before planting it. Tap off any excess powder since too much hormone is worse than too little. before planting them.