Plant Identification- Calla Lily About to Flower

Can you tell me what this plant is. And how to care for it

Hi Catherine,

It looks like a Clivia plant that’s getting ready to flower. Here is a picture of what the flowers will look like.

Clivia plant with bright orange flowers and thick rubbery leaves

Clivia_Plant
Kaffir lily

Clivia Plants, close relatives of Amaryllis Plants, are easy care almost indestructible flowering plants. They  bloom for about 4 weeks during the late spring and early summer when the weather is warm and the days are long. Clivia plants, or Kaffir Lilies as they are sometimes called, are large plants that can grow 2-3 feet tall and almost as wide. Planting a Clivia plant in a heavy clay or ceramic pot prevents it from tipping over. The older a Clivia plant gets the more beautiful it becomes.

A Clivia Plant needs bright indirect light but no direct sun. Direct sun scorches the leaves and ruins the flowers. During the summer, a Clivia Plant loves to go outside as long as you keep it in the shade.

Water a Clivia plant well and then allow the top 50% of the soil to dry out before watering again. They prefer to be on the dry side. Pale green or orange lesions on the leaves indicate you are over-watering.

You can read all my care tips for a Clivia plant in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/clivia-plant-how-to-grow-care-for-a-clivia-plant

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants.