Bromeliad: Cryptanthus “Red Bird”
I recently purchased this plant, and I can’t find any information on it. It has stiff, slender leaves, with stripes in varying shades of red, and serrated edges. I have no idea how to care for it, so any information would be greatly appreciated!
Sorry to be so long in getting back to you but I’ve had some health issues.
Your plant is a type of Bromeliad called a Cryptanthus ‘Red Bird’ (some call it Earth Star). Here are some care instructions.
- Light: Indirect bright light
- Water: Keep the soil moist but not soggy. The good news is that these plants are fairly drought resistant and forgive you if you forget to water them.Never let a Cryptanthus sit in water.
- Humidity: Cryptanthus prefer high humidity.
- Temperature: 60 to 85 degrees is the best temperature..
- Soil: A commercial potting soil is fine, but try to keep it damp.
- fertilizer: Feed monthly with a balanced plant food reduced to 1/2 the suggested strength.