Are these houseplants poisonous?

Hi Judy,

I’m wondering what types of plants these are! I have a cat who is very interested in both of the plants, and I need to make sure they’re not toxic to pets. Right now, we have them both as far out of her reach as possible, but she seems very determined to eat them both. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Brittney,

20160502_225644

This first plant is a dieffenbachia and it is a VERY poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. plant. Please keep it away from your cat!!!

20160502_225625

This plant is a Parlor Palm and is not considered to be a poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. houseplant. You can read more about both of these plants in the Popular HousePlant section of the website. Try putting some orange or lemon peels in the soil of the dieffenbachia to discourage your cat. They don’t like citrus. You can also try some tin foil on top of the soil. Just getting ready to publish a book on Poisonous HouseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them.. Let me know if you’d like more information on how to get a copy. (judy@houseplant411.com)