I just got a kalanchoe as a gift. I love the bright flowers. But I have a couple of cats, is a kalanchoe poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. to cats?
Hate to get rid of it but will if I have to. Thanks in advance.
Kalanchoe Plants are Poisonous Houseplants. This plant is in a group of several plants that contain naturally-occurring poisons that affect the heart. The toxins in Kalanchoe plants are similar to digitalis or digoxin, a common heart medication used for pets and people. The severity of the poisoning depends upon the amount eaten, the size of the person or animal that ingests it, and the specific kalanchoe plant variety. Even the water in a vase of kalanchoes is poisonous. Sign of poisoning include: drooling, vomiting, nausea, abnormal heart rate. These plants are especially dangerous for dogs & cats, but I would keep them away from small children also.
Kalanchoe Pink Butterfly
Read more about Poisonous HouseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them. in my book Don’t Feed me to Your Cat!